Jewelry and Accessorizing...From A Novice

I'll be the first person to tell you that I am absolutely the worst at putting together outfits. I am almost strictly t-shirt (long or short sleeve) and jeans kinda girl so accessories are a must in order for me to not feel like a sloppy, plain and frumpy mess. If I do wear a dress its gonna be pretty simple and also requires accessories so that it doesn't stay too plain.

Mixing Metals

For a long time I thought I could only pull off silver jewelry but not the case. First came rose gold and gosh it is gorgeous then I discovered classic gold. My main choice is still silver and the three rings I wear daily are silver (well two silver and one white gold). So when I want to wear gold earrings, bracelet or a necklace that means I'm mixing my metals babaaaay. Now, I do have some rules. If I'm wearing a gold necklace I will not wear silver earrings. However, gold (rose or classic) bracelets next to my staple silver rings? Totally fine. These are just my rules, so if you have other guidelines I would love to hear them.

Statement Pieces

With such a "plain" sense of style statement jewelry helps keep things exciting. My favorite form of statement jewelry is a statement earring. Hair pulled back and big dangley earrings is just such a chic look. I like to pull this look out of my hat when wearing high necked tops or dresses. With a high neckline and my mass amounts of hair I feel a bit like a floating head, so big earrings makes it interesting.



Statement bracelets or watches are anther go to for me. If I'm wearing 3/4 sleeves (which is most of the time) I especially like to wear something chunky on my wrists. I have a chunky rose gold watch that I got from Target, so I'm not breaking the bank, although I could see myself investing in a nicer watch in this style in a year or so. The other watch I have is more of a delicate small watch with a leather looking strap. This one definitely isn't a statement piece but its super cute.

Necklaces.....I have to try real hard to wear statement necklaces. And you know what? Not everyone needs to wear statement necklaces. So my "Statement" necklaces are pretty simple. And once again I like to wear these pieces with high necklines to make it interesting. I'm trying to work on layering my simple necklaces to make them more dramatic together.



Simple Pieces

Most of the jewelry I wear from day to day is really simple delicate pieces that usually have sentimental value. I wear three rings everyday. A silver Claddagh ring. If you haven't heard of these, they are rings with a heart being held by two hands. I wear this ring to remind myself that my heart and my love is mine to give to whom I please. No one is entitled to my love. The second ring I wear is a white gold ring with three garnets (my birthstone, Yay Capricorns!) That my parents gave me when I turned 13. This reminds me of how much my parents love and believe in me (love you momma and daddy!!!!!). The third ring I wear is just a silver band on my left pointer finger.....I have no reason to wear this ring other then I like it.

I have three delicate necklaces that I wear on rotation. A silver charm necklace with my initial and birthstone. My sister and I have matching necklaces....and I freaking love my sister. The second necklace I wear a lot is a gold bar necklace that I got in a FabFitFun box one season. I really like This necklace but it doesn't have a ton of sentimental value. The other necklace I wear often is a simple chain with very little pearls every few links. My boyfriends Aunt made this as a Christmas gift for me, which was such a thoughtful and beautiful gift.




Other Accessories

Scarves and hats are other accessories I really wear a lot! When outfits are as simple as mine scarves and hats are an excellent way to keep things interesting. I love bringing out my yellow and pale pink beanies. Sometimes I get funky with my eyelashes hat. And my green wide brimmed hat is so fall and goes well with all my grey, black and denim.




I love lots of variety in my scarf collection. chunky, light, patterned, color block, solids, fringe.



And that is accessorizing from someone with really simple style. These little touches really help me feel pretty when my usual style can sometimes leave me feeling frumpy and drab.

Comments

Popular Posts