Breaking my foot and my following freak out

I broke my foot. I am an idiot and was walking down the street and I just fell over and broke my darn foot. So now I can't go on walks. I have to sit as much as I can. And sitting around feeling some of my muscles go away is the worst feeling in the world. But as always my beyond amazing friends and support have come through and keep picking me up when I'm just so very much down.

Depression
This is a very real thing when you are forced to be sedentary. At home alone, in my darkest moments I felt awful, fat, weak and helpless. I am none of these things, but I feel it and for most, feeling it makes it real enough. Usually I combat depression by going on walks, dancing it out in my apartment, just gettin my blood moving. With a broken foot this is much more difficult. So laying on the floor doing knee planks, and leg lifts is just gonna have to do. I also have some pretty amazing friends that did some research for me and found some really amazing seated workouts. and I'll link a few here, here, here and here

This has been more difficult then I thought it was going to be. There have been many bad days. Days where I don't feel like doing anything and at the same time wanting to do everything. But I couldn't walk to the grocery store or go on hikes. I was able to keep positive most of the time but that takes a hell of a lot of energy. So I'm sleepy, lethargic, weak and unmotivated. Awful..just awful.

Friends and laughter
They say laughter is the best medicine, and they are so right. Wine tasting with friends is a fun weekend activity that doesn't require too much walking around and is a lot of fun. Game nights. we also did dome pumpkin carving. Surrounding yourself with good people that bring you up and remind you that an injury isn't forever if you take care of it. And my wonderful boyfriend is the best encouragement ever. He listens to me when I tell him what I need and delivers and respects that I'm going through a tough time mentally handling everything. Sometimes its watching a funny TV show, or playing a board game or doing a puzzle together, maybe listening to a podcast while cooking dinner.

Eating
Being recovered from an eating disorder makes being injured and unable to exercise especially difficult. So here is how my special little brain works and this is why eating healthy but also allowing myself to just eat is so key and even more so when I am unable to exercise.

I have a difficult day where I "feel" fat and ugly.
I cannot make myself feel better about this by going on a walk, which is what I usually do.
Since I can't go on a walk, my brain tells me to stop eating. *that'll fix your emotions*.....sarcasm...don't do this.
Obviously I can't do that, because I've worked too hard to go back to that business.
So making healthy decisions everyday and some days truly forcing myself eat.
And making sure to not binge eat (but allow myself a treat every now and again), cuz the guilt after eating literally all of the carbs and ice cream isn't worth it.

And my support system comes in again and keeps me honest. My co-workers asking me if I've eaten lunch yet. My boyfriend meal planning with me. These may seem like tiny things that wouldn't make too big of an impact, but gosh it means the world to me.

And now I'm hopefully all better when posting this and I get to work hard and slow to get back to healthy. Not to lose weight but to get tone and feel healthy in my own body.

Update
When posting this I have been out of my walking boot for four days now and my spirits are already lifted. Now I need to focus on self control to get back to normal slowly.

Comments

Popular Posts