What Is Ethical Fashion?

With my recent research into minimalism I have stumbled upon lots of content discussing ethical, sustainable, and slow fashion. I thought to myself "ok, ethical has to be a good thing". But I did not know exactly what all those things meant. So I started googling and I now have a better grasp on the subject. So allow me to break this down for ya to the best of my ability.

Slow Fashion
I feel like by now we've all heard about fast fashion. Fashion that gets made on the cheap that is sold for cheap and promoted on a very quick cycle. Slow fashion is the opposite. For a while I just assumed slow fashion simply meant high end and ridiculously expensive, not actually the case. This approach to manufacturing clothing focuses on well made pieces that you should only have to purchase once in a blue moon. Yeah, they might be more expensive, but they are also supposed to last you years and years. This idea really falls in line with the way I've been trying to approach my own wardrobe.

A Guide to Curating a Conscious Closet

Sustainable Fashion
This idea addresses companies affect on the environment. If clothes are being mass produced then there are probably big machines producing those fabrics and maybe sewing those garments. Big machines have to be dumping lots of pollution into our world. I know that is a really really simple and potentially incorrect version, but that is how my brain thinks about it. Sustainable fashion is clothing that is made with less of an impact on the environment. I definitely have more to learn on this specific branch of this topic. So more to come.


Ethical Fashion
From what I can understand ethical fashion is either the umbrella that the covers the last two categories  or a subcategory with more of a focus on safe and fair labor. In fast fashion, if the clothing is not being mass produced then people are sewing the garments. Sometimes slaves are making clothes. Slaves!!! Other times it is children being paid pennies a day. In general people are underpaid and overworked and that is not alright.

PROFFESIONAL SUSTAINABILITY - I am very big on the concept of ethics in fashion. As a vegan, I especially advocate for sustainable animal products. While I don't see the industry going completely vegan in the near future, I am in support of raising and treating animals used for fur in ethical ways.

I think this focus in fashion is a good thing. It might be just trending right now, but if we give the topic the attention it deserves then it can really change lives and our world. Ethical/sustainable fashion does have a ways to go when in comes to being size inclusive. I am a size 14 and have a hard time finding jeans from more ethical brands. And when a brand does have things in my size once I look at the measurements for their garments I am at the very far reaches of their sizing scales. So am I still going to be shopping at Target sometimes? yes. They actually carry my size.

I also read a very interesting point about ethical/sustainable fashion. Until ethical fashion is affordable is really isn't that sustainable. And I think there's a bit of truth in that. Currently ethics and sustainability are not the norm and some companies are really charging outrageous amounts of money for garments. In searching for websites (because few of these vendors have storefronts) I found things being sold for $300 and up. I'm sorry but, I am just not going to spend that kind of money on a tee shirt. The industry has a long way to go.

Always #ethicalfashion

My last comment about ethical/sustainable fashion is that sometimes the clothing looks very "ethical/sustainable". I don't want to look any different when I choose to purchase from and ethical and sustainable company. Not all vendors have this aesthetic to their clothes, but not wanting this look really narrows my options.

So don't throw out all of your clothes that were sewn by underpaid and overworked women and children. But rather next time you make a purchase, take a look at all of your options. And maybe hit up a consignment or thrift shop. And if that doesn't work out below are linked some really cool brands to check out. After all reusing is the best way to avoid all of these bad affects of the fashion industry. Below are some online vendors that I'm really excited about ordering from in the future. Quality not quantity and less is always more. You know.

Ash & Rose (Curated shop from lots of different brands)

Bamboo Body (up to size 16!!)

Brass (simple and flattering designs)

Everlane (everything is so simple and beautiful)

Reformation (on trend and has some flare)

Tonle (very boho and casual looking)

People Tree (simple pieces)

Boody (some of the softest fabrics I own)

Comments

Popular Posts