Capsule Wardobe for Coastal Living

Living in an area where summer can be up to 90 degrees during the day, 60 in the morning and 50 in the late evening it can be tricky to have a minimal wardrobe. But I am all about the idea of a true capsule wardrobe. I'm torn guys. I enjoy shopping and trying out new shapes, fits and fabrics. But I also crave clean minimal living. So there is a part of me that wants to wear 3 pairs of jeans, 5 tops and 2 dresses for the rest of my life. But there is also a part of me that wants to go shopping every week to buy all the things.



Seasonal Capsule Wardrobe 
After doing some research and watching way too many youtube videos on the subject I decided a seasonal capsule wardrobe was the answer. I still probably own too much clothes but my mindset and thought process when purchasing new clothes has really shifted. So every few months or as the seasons change I take some clothes out of storage and put others back in storage. This way old clothes feel fresh and new after being in storage and my closet isn't cluttered with clothes I wont wear for months.

 

Shopping
Oh you better believe I still go shopping. But its not as impulsive and I'm not wasting money on cheap things that won't last. Now I ask myself questions while shopping. Do I already own this? Is this a better quality version of something I already own? Will this item fill a hole in my wardrobe? How versatile is this Item? I do not ask myself if I need the item because I more then likely do not. But what I do need is to constantly be growing and changing and getting challenged creatively. This is not to say I drop hundreds every month on clothes, but I do budget for it. Some months I don't buy any clothes. Other months I get a few pieces. each purchase is thought about thouroughly. 

 

My Personal Style
I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda girl most days. So quality t-shirts and good fitting denim are key. I've bought a lot of different styles of both and at lots of different price points. My go to t-shirt is from H&M and very affordable. I've also pick up more expensive tops from Free People and Current Elliot and they are nice but not so noticable that I think its worth the money. There are a few brands I like for denim. Levi 311 are a good fit. Asos Curve High Waisted jeans are also awesome and I've had a few pairs from Democracy that are a nice lightweight denim that don't lose their shape too quick.

 


Mixing It Up
The t-shirts and jeans are pretty much a year round constant for me. But how to mix it up and not feel bored? There are so many different shapes to play with. Flared jeans and fitted tops. Tight jeans and flowy blouses. Cardigans long and short. Boots, sandals, flats, loafers. High necklines, v-neck, scoop. Even wearing my hair up or down can change and finish an outfit. I have to wear mostly black at work so playing with shape and fit is everything.

 


Layering
Layering is key to living in this kind of climate. Lightweight jeans are a staple. Tank tops and t-shirts are another. My uniform I've created for myself is jeans and belt, with a t-shirt half tucked in to make me look taller. I keep a cardigan at work if the AC get too chilling during the day. And I keep a heavier sweater and a lightweight cardigan in my car. Just be careful of not eventually keeping all your clothes in your car.

Comments

Popular Posts