Moisturizer..Tale as Old as Time

Good skin. It is always something we are striving for and a huge part of good skin is hydration. As someone with dry skin, hydration and moisturizers has always been something of importance. But it is also important for oily to combination skin as well.

Hyaluronic Acid
Dry skin type is skin that refuses to produce enough natural oils (Sebum). Skin that doesn't have enough hydration tends to lose firmness and elasticity quicker. uh oh. Hyaluronic Acid is a humectant which means it draws water. When applied topically it can help the skin absorb moisture kinda like how a damp sponge can better soak water. My favorite product that does this is Aveda Hydrating Treatment Lotion. This is a water based product and should be applied first to the face. This would be a good product for combination skin but might not do a ton for oily skin.



My daytime moisturizer also has hyaluronic Acid. This face cream is perfectly hydrating without being too heavy. So Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream for extra dry skin. This stuff rocks!! they also make one for just dry skin, but this one is so lightweight already.



Facial Oils
This is such a trendy thing right now but the science backs it up. Facial oils can balance the skins oil production. Most plant based oils are non-comedogenic (wont clog your pores). For oily/combination skin prone to breakouts this will hydrate gently after cleaning deeply. Some cleansing treatments dry out you skin so much that it puts your oil production into overdrive. Using a quick absorbing or dry oil with help balance skin without making you feel like a grease ball. Maybe start with oils as a nighttime treatment till your skin gets used to it. Jojoba oil is probably one of the lightest and most easily absorbed oils. And Castor oil is quite thick and heavy but has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties making it a great choice for breakout prone skin.

For dry skin patting in a slightly heavier oil as your last skincare step with lock in moisture. But know once you get your skin to a good place it wont require as much oil. my favorite facial oil is Marula Oil, I picked this up at my local health store but there are so many options out there both expensive and affordable. Marula Oil is packed with Vitamin E and C which keep the skin moisturized as it raises the rate of your cell turnover. this keeps your skin looking fresh.



For all skin types Rosehip oil is supposed to be wonderful. I have not added this oil into my regiment yet. It is supposed be very anti-aging and I am not quite ready to battle age. I am currently 25 and typically you do not want to use heavy anti-aging products till your late 20's early 30's depending on how much sun damage you have.

I cannot tell you enough how getting my skin in good balance has given me confidence and made me feel beautiful in my own skin. I wear less makeup, my skin is softer and I have fewer blackheads.



I acknowledge that I have not properly addressed nighttime vs. daytime (I promise to expand upon this in a dedicated blog post). But for now just know that you want to use heavier moisturizers at night and lighter moisturizers during the day.

Comments

Popular Posts