Summer Dressing from a Curvy Girl

My favorite seasons are the seasons when I can hide behind clothes....so pretty much every season except summer. Summer is a great time of year with sunshine, chilled wine, fresh fruit and BBQ. Summer also comes with shorts, tank tops, dresses and of course the dreaded swimwear (this one is the toughest). So I am going to share my summer outfits and ways I feel a little more confident during the warmer months.

Shorts
For me shorts cannot happen without self tanner. This helps cover stretch marks and make varicose veins appear less...just less. I use a gradual tanning lotion and sometimes a tanning mousse. The lotion is much more foolproof.


I don't like to wear my shorts too short and since I have curves this gets kinda tricky. Be patient with yourself and try on all the shorts. The fit I've found that works the best is Targets brand Massimo's Mid-Rise Midi. They are not too short, not too low rise and not too tight. Just right. These are cute and appropriate enough.

 

My more expensive pair are from Blank NYC. And I got them on sale a couple years ago, so I'm not sure I would repurchase, but they are nice. These are a little shorter then the Target shorts but they are great for the beach but maybe a little too casual for a day of wine tasting.

 

Dresses
Finding the right flattering dress is all about dressing for your shape. I have a small waist, big butt and hips and we'll say "muscular" arms. So I go for flowy or well cut dresses that come in at the waist and have some sort of sleeve. The weight of the fabric is another big element. If the fabric is light its nice, cool and airy but can also cling to all the bits you might rather bring attention to. And on the other hand a thicker fabric will probably lay better but gosh it can get warm. So a light fabric with some weight to it is perfection. And this dress from H&M also has pockets!!!! 

 

Skirts are another savior for summer dressing. Denim, jersey, pencil, flare or maxi they are awesome!  Fancier then shorts but just as cool. This Denim skirt is from Asos Curve and it's so comfortable. 

 

Tank Tops
Those of us that don't relish the idea of bearing our arms really don't look forward to tank top season. But I've found my solutions and styles that keep me cool and feeling confident. I don't hate my arms. I've got good biceps and strong shoulders its just my triceps I'm not a huge fan of. I work at it but I'm also just accepting that I'm probably never going to have "skinny" arms nor do I want them.

I like tank tops to come in a like a racer back or go just past my shoulders. When they come in I feel like it makes my shoulders look so strong and powerful. Grrr.  And when they go slightly past my shoulders it almost feels like a t-shirt but not as warm. 

 



Comments

Popular Posts