Thrifting Your Wardrobe With Intention

I was recently in the Sacramento area visiting a friend who shares my love of thrift stores and clothing consignment shops. And while shopping with a friend (normally I'm a lone wolf shopper) I realized our approaches to shopping are so different from each other. So here is what I look for when shopping.

Know Your Favorite Brands
Guys, for a couple years now I've been craving a velvet piece from the brand Johnny Was. This a a pretty expensive brand that I just could never justify the price. If I spend $200 on a top I will also be terrified to get it dirty or torn or injured in some way. So I couldn't pull the trigger on a Full price Johnny Was, but you better believe I always scour the consignment shops for a good piece. And it finally happened this weekend!!!! I brought in some purses I was getting rid of and got $22 in store credit. So when I found this top for $85 I had to get it.




I go thrifting so often and I also go shopping shopping often. I think its so important to feel fabrics and try on clothes. Even if you don't buy anything you are learning what size you are in certain brands and what fabrics you prefer. Know what brands, sizes and textures you are looking for. It helps keep you focused in a thrift/consignment shop.

Learn to Recognize Leather
My friend could not get over how I stuck my face in the bag section and literally sniffed out the genuine leather. This actually happened a couple years ago, but I do this every where I shop. This trip I got lucky with a pair of boots....Lucky Brand Boots. $129 pair of boots and I found them for $28. These guys looked like new and I'm breaking them in for my feet as I write. You don't want to get used leather shoes that are too used because at that point they will be broken in and formed to someone else's foot and might not be the most comfortable for you.




Fun Basics
I've been learning to embrace my personal style. Jeans, t-shirt and button downs tucked in. So I keep a lookout for quality versions of all those things. When your personal uniform is so simple you learn to have fun with those simple pieces and stripes have always been my go to. This striped crop top was too cute to pass up and for only $6. Heck yes!  The other fun basic I found was a simple white graphic t-shirt. Also for just $6. 




Be Picky
Just because something is cheap doesn't mean you have to buy it. This is an easy trap to fall into when thrift shopping. All of the pieces I bought this thrift trip were things I felt were missing in my wardrobe. So often though that top is $5 if you don't totally love everything about it then don't buy it. 



Comments

Popular Posts