Pulling Off Bold Lips

Cooler weather for some reason makes me want to wear the boldest lip colors I own. This can be tricky, messy and scary to pull off. Especially since my personal style (in fashion and makeup) is pretty simple, going bold feels like going way out of my comfort zone. But boldly I go into the bright and dark lip color territory.



Formula Preferences

There are so many formula options for lip colors. Liquid lipstick, matte liquid lipstick, matte lipstick, traditional creamy lipsticks, metallic finishes, lip stains the list goes on. A lot of long wearing lip colors can be so drying and uncomfortable. On the other hand, creamy comfortable lip color that doesn't dry down can be so messy and get all over your teeth and somtimes even your face. So a formula that sets down but doesnt "dry" down is the best option for me.

Loreal Infallible Liquid lipstick (liquid lipstick)
This is a brand new formula to Loreal and its so awesome. They really do set down without drying out. The formula is a bit thick, so maybe apply and blend with your finger. This is one heavy duty liquid lipstick so be prepared. The shade I've been wearing a lot is Stirred (very deep vampy red).

Smashbox Always On (liquid lipstick)
This liquid lipstick is such a wonderful long wear product. Its a lighter and thinner formula then the Loreal but it is also almost twice the price. I only have a couple from this line for that reason. If I wore a bold lip every single day I would probably invest in more of these. The colors I have from this line are Out Loud (deep orange) and Bang Bang (yellow red).


AOA Wonder Matte (liquid lipstick)
This is the cheapest liquid lipstick you will ever find and it is soooooooooo great. One Dollar!!! thats what this one costs. But it is only available online so factor shipping into that and maybe its more then a dollar but still, such bang for you literal buck. This formula is really thin and dries down a lot so i always apply over a lip balm. The darker colors aren't as opaque as I would like them so it takes a couple a swipes before there is full coverage of color. But let each layer dry down and you should be fine.
P.S I also really like the brushes and little canvas makeup bags from this site. Its a real problem cuz literally everything is a dollar.

Maybelline Matte lipstick (creamy lipstick)
This is a great affordable, comfortable formula. If a liquid lipstick is too dry or too difficult to work with for you, this is a fantastic option. The bold color I really like from this line is Devine Wine,. really pretty deep berry. This isn't the boldest of colors but its very pretty a deeper then what I usually wear.

Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick
Such a pretty lipstick with so many shades to choose from. I have a little sample size in the color Liquorice which is an oxblood color and I've been eyeing Tannin which is described as a poppy red. This formula isn't so creamy that it gets all over your teeth, but not so dry that if feels like blending out dried glue. It blends out perfectly. However, this is a true lipstick so it's not going to last on your lips all day, you're going to have to reapply throughout the day.

Application Tips

Use Less Product and Blend Well
With bold lip colors your first instinct might be to apply a ton to really get that punch of color. Don't do that! apply a thin layer of the product and use your finger to blend out. Then take a q-tip and run it along the edge or your lips to soften the look of the color.

Go Easy on The Face Makeup
You don't want to overload your face with too much drama. So if you know you want to wear a bold lip go easy on the eyes and blush. I like to take a champagne colored cream shadow onto my eyelids, just bronzer on my cheeks, maybe a cheekbone highlight and good ole mascara. Simple on the face let the bold lip do all the talking.

Dont Forget the Lip Balm
Since most bold colors come in drying matte liquid lipstick form be sure to exfoliate your lips before applying. I use some coconut oil and sugar from my kitchen and I just mix it on the back of my hand. Whenever I start my makeup the first thing I do is apply lip balm and let it sink in and work while i do my makeup. By the time I get to the lips I have a perfectly smooth canvas for the bold lip of my choosing. I like the lip balm from Milani, its a very shiny lip balm so if you know a lipstick is super duper drying and you like a more satin finish this is perfect underneath it. The other one I like is the Rosebud Perfume co. Salve in a Tube. This balm isn't as shiny but just as moisturizing.

Have Confidence and Rock that Bold Lip
Confidence is key!!!!! You won't know how fun it is until you try.

Comments

Popular Posts