What I do When I "feel" Fat and Ugly

I started writing this post before I broke my foot, so this post is coming from someone that cannot even really exercise currently. I'm terrified of gaining weight and looking the way I feel on these bad days. But I'm checking in with my support and I'm going to do all I can to keep my spirits up so I can heal as quickly as possible.



I talk about bad days a lot and there are so many reasons we can have a bad day. This post will be addressing days when we feel "ugly" or "fat" which for me translates to being a "failure". I hate all these words, they have so much power. I've allowed these words to have power over me. And you know what? I'm done with letting these awful words control me.

Quickly, I would like to clarify I fully believe in body positivity and accepting yourself for who you are. However I also believe in being kind to your body and being/feeling your healthiest. Don't go to extremes but love and respect your body.


Mantras or Affirmations

These are just little self pep talks. "I am freaking beautiful" "I have value in the world" "I am loved" "My body and mind is a powerhouse capable of more then I realize" If talking to yourself in your car mirror or bathroom is a little too weird, write it out on paper a few times. Or if you feel comfortable enough with a friend, text them and tell them you are having a rough day and need some affirmation. Tell them your mantra and let your friends cheer you on. And who knows maybe your friend is also feeling gross and needs some affirmation as well. Check that out!!! Friends and loved ones getting to be there for you. It just makes my heart happy.


Making Healthy Choices

When I'm feeling fat I always have to remind myself that I am not fat but maybe I'm "feeling" fat or unhealthy. So making a few extra healthy choices and getting my healthy habits back on track helps with this a lot. This is not a "quick fix and you'll feel better that day" kinda thing. But stick to it. I have the worlds biggest sweet tooth and I love love cheese and bread.......Like ALL of the cheese and bread. So when I get back on track with healthy eating I have the worst cravings for the first couple of weeks. But once I get past that its pretty smooth sailing, just keep being kind to your body.




Get Active (just do it!!!)

This one requires some serious will power and maybe even the buddy system. Get up, get out, go on a walk, hike. Get on the floor and do some push-ups, planks, squats. Put on some music and dance it out till you are sweating.  We've been enjoying going on walks. It isn't too strenuous exercise and the boyfriend and I get to talk as we walk or I can listen to a podcast or audio book if I'm walking alone. I am so sad I can't go on my walks with my broken foot, but I'm gonna heal as quick as I can so I can get back to it.

Sitting up straight 

Just being aware of your posture and sitting up straight can be weirdly empowering. When I'm sitting and looking at my phone or reading it's so easy to slouch over and forget my good posture. Once I correct it I can feel my muscles engage and then I feel strong and better about myself. It's a small but powerful thing.

Things I Avoid
There are a couple things I always find myself wanting to do but really shouldn't. Shopping is the big one. And I've been working really hard at breaking this habit. On days when I'm feeling "fluffy" my brain seems to think that shopping and trying on clothes will make me feel better. But really trying on and buying clothes I don't need is just going to make me feel like more of a failure. Sheer will power is the way out of these kind of situations. You cannot buy yourself health and happiness. You can buy yourself the appearance of health and happiness, but its about how you feel from day to day.

The other temptation is overdoing anything. Exercise, binge eating, shopping sprees you name it. The main one I hate to talk myself out of is over exercising. It's so tempting to go on a big hike or work out for a couple hours to make yourself feel "skinny". Total crap. Slow and steady wins the race and all that. But seriously be patient with yourself and be diligent.

Above all else please feel as beautiful as you are and when you forget how beautiful you are, remind yourself and let those around you remind you.


Comments

Popular Posts