Shopping My Own Wardrobe

I store away clothes that I don't need during the current season. So when It started to get chilly here I pulled out my storage bins to shop some of my sweaters that I already own. Earlier in the week I was actually at H&M trying on sweaters and getting frustrated with awkward fits or things that were too long. What a relief to open up a box and find that everything already fits just right.


First I go through my bins of clothes. Some sweaters are too warm for fall. So those stay in the bin till winter. Winter here in central California isn't too bad compared to other places but we are wimps and get cold quick. I always try on everything I'm adding into my wardrobe to double check it still fits, its been a year after all. I also always be sure to try everything on with a favorite pair of jeans. 


Some of the same rules apply as if I was actually going shopping. 

Wear cute, comfortable shoes.
Have your go to jacket with you to try on.
Take pictures to better remember fit.
Have something cute to wear after trying things on.

This way all your fresh "new" clothes don't make the ones you've been wearing for the last few months feel shabby and worn. Once that feeling sets in, the shopaholic in me wants to buy an all new wardrobe. 


Next, find the gaps in your wardrobe. An obvious gap in my wardrobe was warmer cardigans. I had plenty of lightweight ones that are great for late spring and air conditioned buildings. But I didn't really have any other warm and cozy cardigans (except for this orange one that I'm freaking in love with). I especially need a black one to keep at work. I'm thinking of picking up a basic one from H&M. I also found a very over-sized and very cozy cashmere cardigan at a thrift store. The other gap is in my shoes. I also don't own a pair of black ankle booties. But I do have other booties so I might wait till the new year to purchase these. 


Now put your summery tank tops, dresses and shorts into storage to rediscover next year. I also like to take stock of my t-shirt situation at this time as well. Do any of them have holes and need to be replaced? Do they all still fit well? Do I like all of the necklines I have?


Comments

Popular Posts