Holiday Stress

A couple weeks ago, while prepping for thanksgiving, I was feeling overwhelmed and stressed. I had just worked a full week at work after being at the hospital with my boyfriend the weekend before (he had to have surgery unexpectedly and is doing well now). I had one day off to accomplish things, then I worked three full days and we were off for thanksgiving. The night before this blessed one day off I was frantically planning and racking my brain to make sure I thought of everything I needed to do. I even figured out a timeline for this one day off. At the end of the evening I was spiraling into a mild panic thinking I had forgotten something. That’s when my boyfriend spoke out loud our whole plan for not only the day off but my three work days after.

“ We’ll get everything done tomorrow then you’ll wake up go to work, come home, eat dinner, go to sleep. Repeat that the next day and then the day after that we are on our way to see family. So after tomorrow all you have to do is eat and sleep till we leave” 

This brought me unbelievable comfort!!!! I immediately calmed down because he was absolutely right. I did all the planning I could. I will be as productive as I can be and then I just need to perform basic human functions before we leave. That’s awesome. 

The holidays can be an overwhelmingly difficult time of year for those of us with mental health issues and anxiety. So if I can give you an ounce of the comfort that my boyfriends words gave me then I feel like I’m doing my job as a fellow anxious human. 

Do what you can. And only what you can. Then stop and rest in that. You are brave and stronger then you realize and overwhelming emotions will not control you and ruin your holidays. Or your day for that matter. 



Happy holidays and I’m wishing calm, joy and peace to you all. 

Love,
Emy 


Comments

Popular Posts