New Years Re-commitments (cuz resolution is just too much commitment)

Get Healthier
I know, I know this is everybody's New Years thing. Last year Tyler and I committed to making salads in jars for our lunches every week and we did it. of course there were a few weeks missed because of vacations, being sick ect. But we made our own healthy lunches for a whole year and it felt so good. This year we are going to continue that habit but try adding in making soup for the whole week during the colder months or curry when we are feeling like a bit more spice. We also intent to get more active. I'm not joining a gym and saying "I'm gonna hit the gym everyday". Firstly, that is not healthy for me. Not that it isn't healthy for some people but for me going to the gym for an hour everyday feels too addictive and too much like an eating disorder trigger. So I go on long walks a couple times a week and I do exercise everyday,  but in my living room and I set a timer for 10-20 minutes depending on how i'm feeling and how much time I have. The other healthy habit I'm very excited to start is riding a bike to work. Tyler got me a three speed beach cruiser for Christmas and I'm slowly going to start riding it to work. As discussed, exercise can be a trigger for me so I'm going to go ease into it and really start thinking about riding a bike as transportation not exercise.

Habit Building
A couple years ago a client and I were talking about how people make all these resolutions but never follow through and why that was. And he was telling me about "Habit Building". Its the idea of making little changes to get closer to that big change you have in mind. So choose a habit to start, make it something you really cannot say no to. After a few weeks its going to feel odd to not do that habit. So pick another habit that feels like something you can't say no to and do it. Soon you'll have all these new things that you do that feel completely natural. Last year it was making my bed everyday and putting my clothes away in the morning. Now it takes me maybe five minutes to do both of those things and I feel so much more accomplished every single day. So this year I am going to habit build my exercising everyday. I've already started, and I started really small with five minutes a day. I've moved onto ten minutes a day and then fifteen and it'll feel so natural and easy once I get into it. The other habit I'm wanting to build this year is having no electronics on before bed. I find that when I have music on and I'm reading a book or meditating before bed I sleep better then when I'm watching Youtube or Netflix right before I try to go to sleep.


Plan to Take Time Off
This last year I took my first vacation in years and it was glorious!!!! So I'm setting a goal to travel more, but it takes planning especially with my job. There are certain times of year that are better for taking a trip and others where it is near impossible to take time off. This goal or re-commitment is very vague I know, but it is something I think will better me in the long run. So I'll be looking at exatly what that looks like in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts