Fresh Mindset as a Beauty Product Consumer

I've been a makeup artist for the last 6 years and I'm finally at a place where I know what I like to keep in my kit and I don't really need to add something unless a product runs out or expires. So now I'm left with this total makeup addiction and I am just not capable of using up that much makeup. So I'm gonna break my addiction!!!!! Here are the rules I'm putting in place for myself to break my makeup buying habit and save some money. (This can also be an issue with skincare products for some and most of the same rules apply. Its a total mindset shift kinda thing)



Don't Buy a New Product Until The Old One is Just About Gone
This rule might seem kinda obvious but it really takes work. But I always suggest really researching products, and ingredients before buying a product. This really allows for that time to research. I've already got myself on this kinda system with my mascaras. Foundation is the one I really have a hard time using up. Firstly because I own so much of it from over purchasing. Secondly, you really don't use much of it on the daily. Blush and Lipstick are the most difficult categories to keep to this rule on. So if I'm looking at possibly purchasing a new lipstick or blush I have a series of questions I ask and things I check. Do I already own this color? Do I already own this color in this formula? Do I like the formula I already own this color in? Chances are you probably are about to purchase a duplicate and that will lead to waste and over spending.



If Something Doesn't work...Actually Return It
This majorly applies to high end products but the drugstore isn't the cheapest these days when it comes to makeup and I've most definitely returned products that broke me out or the shade was wrong. So save your receipts and get your money back. And if you can't get your money back exchange it for a product you already know you love and will keep using, that way you already have a backup and the money didn't go to waste.



Resist The Ads For the Newest, Best Product (This Includes Some YouTube and Blog Stuff)
Makeups brands want you to spend money, they are a business after all. Heck, at work I want my clients to buy the products we sell, because we are a business. I'm very very lucky that I get to sell products that have literally changed my life and the way I feel about myself, but not all ads are that honest. I love watching YouTube reviews of products, it is great to hear other peoples opinions, but sometimes after hearing people telling me to go and buy a product I feel kinda left out if I don't have "that product". And that just cannot be a healthy thing. I want to make my own decisions on my own terms. So I've been more selective about what beauty related videos to watch and sometimes when I'm getting that "left out" feeling I'll shut off YouTube and turn on an audio book or podcast. I'd like to reiterate that I think the beauty community on YouTube is an amazing resource on product knowledge and makeup looks inspiration, just in manageable doses.



 Same Rules Apply to Skincare and Hair Care
I find that when I slow down my spending in one area I tend to loosen my budget in another. And most of the time when I'm not buying makeup I'm buying skincare. and if it isn't skincare its body care and then hair care. So all the things I just talked about in reference to makeup also goes for skincare and all beautifying products. Fortunately I fly through skincare products and this allows me to try a good amount of different things.

Comments

Popular Posts