My "Minimalist" Journey

Minimalism has been a trending way of life in the last few years. People living with only what they need. And sometimes taking it to the extreme. A lot of the time there is an iconic style that comes with minimalism. Clean, white, very little furniture and very few things. After researching, reading and watching way too many youtube videos I have come to the conclusion that the basic idea of minimalism is something I very much agree with, its just when people take it to the extreme that I don't agree with.

I heard minimalism described as living, purchasing and consuming with intention. I like that definition so much. So many times minimalism is practically purchasing nothing at all (kudos to you if you can do this). I'm sorry but, I enjoy shopping too much to go cold turkey. However, shopping less and more efficiently is something I would like to work towards. Shopping is something I've used to make myself feel better, retail therapy some might say. And I'm a woman who has self esteem and mental health issues, so making myself feel better is something I used to do a lot. However as my mental health gets better, my bad, compulsive spending habits get better too. I'd like this to be a permanent change.



Finding The Logic To Make A Change

I am the type of person that needs a "why" for everything. I'm sure I drove my mom crazy with all my questions as a child (sorry mom!). So when I decided to make a change in my life I knew it would take me some time to find the right "why" for my change in lifestyle and habits. Looking back now, I think this all started when I read the book "A Curated Closet" and started my wardrobe overhaul. Which is now a comfortable and constant project (just the way I like it). So in trying to expand this way of life to other parts of my life I am now reading and soaking up all the information to find more logic.

The best logic I've been able to find is, if I spend less I'll be able to save more. Save more for what? (cuz my crazy need for logic and goals strikes again) Travel, security, better shoes and so on and so on. I realize this sounds like I'll be spending less just so I can spend more, and that is kinda what I'm saying. But I'm spending less so I can spend more only when I need or want to and on things that matter more to me.



Actually Making A Change

The next step after all of that thinking and goal setting was getting organized. For me that meant starting a Bullet Journal. I had no idea writing down my thoughts and plans in one organized place could be so darn freeing. But, man oh man, I feel like I have room to think. I didn't even know that I didn't have room to think, but apparently not. In case you are unfamiliar, Bullet Journaling is the use of a blank note book to plan your month, week and day. Since the pages are blank you get to work in only the tools you need. For me that is a daily to-do list, monthly goals, blog post schedules, capsule wardrobe planning and budgeting tools.



When getting into the idea of minimalism you will be tempted to get rid of everything...like everything. Don't do that. Definitely sort through your things and get rid of the excess. This process took probably a year for me to get through. Every month or so I would pick a category and go through it to get rid of what I do not love or need. Watching things you've paid for go to the thrift shop or to the trash really puts thing in perspective. I really don't want to go through all my stuff again in another year or two, which means I need to be careful and accountable for my purchases.


My Journey to living with intention is far from over but I'm proud of the steps I've taken. Using what I own. Purchasing as things need replacement, not sooner. And saying no to impulse buys. Even using what I own as decoration. Form and function!! what could be better. Thanks for reading and even though cleaning my house isn't something that has to do with being pretty, knowing I'm making better decisions for my life sure makes me feel good and when I'm feeling good I'm feeling pretty. Pure and simple.

Comments

Popular Posts