Shoes I've Invested In....So Worth It

Why invest in shoes?
When I was in High School with a part time job I wanted to be independent and free. And that meant buying my own clothes and shoes. As a young girl who just wanted to be cool and independent I bought what I  could afford...which was not much. Now that I'm more grown up (not all the way grown up, there is always more to learn) my budget is a bit bigger and I'm a bit wiser. I also have more health issues to be aware of. So investing in the shoes is really investing in my health and future.



My joints are Hyper Mobile, this means my joints have too much room to move around. For hypermobile people, posture and core strength are really important. Keeping strong in all of your joints is a good idea for everyone, but it is vital for those of us with hyper mobility. On top of being hyper mobile my ankles have a natural pronation to them. They tend to lean in, which compromises the alignment of my entire body. I've gone through physical therapy to learn how to build strength in those  little areas that most people don't need as much. But wearing the correct shoes with the right amount of support is absolutely key.

How Much Is Too Much?
There are some really expensive, high end shoes out there. An expensive shoe does not mean that it has the support that will help your whole body. So how much is too much for a "good" pair of shoes? For me, I am willing to spend around $150 for a pair of shoes. If I can find it for cheaper I will, but the comfort and support are the most important thing. I've also found that the better quality, the more comfortable, the more I wear my shoes. When I cave for a cheap pair of shoes that don't have the support I need I end up not wearing them at all because they will inevitably hurt me. I also notice that when I invest in my shoes they last for a solid few years. So rather then buying $30 shoes every 6 months I'm buying $150 shoes every few years.



Real Leather
I prefer to buy real genuine leather. It stretches to your foot to make it the most comfortable it can be. And your shoes tend to last longer.

Dansko
This brand is the main brand that comes to mind when discussing shoes with good support. Dansko is the shoe a lot of nurses and doctors opt for. They stand for hours and hours so if its good enough for the doctors and nurses of the world it certainly should be good enough for me. The only trouble was to find an actual cute style. They do carry a kind of strappy platform sandal type thing, but that wasn't for me. So I was in a shoe shop here in SLO and I saw the cutest platform mule...and from Dansko!! it was on sale, in my size, and I bought them. Later I bought a second pair in a darker color. Now, after a day of standing and wearing my Danskos all day at work my whole body feels great but the bottoms of my feet feel like they had the workout of their lives. After a year or so of breaking these shoes in they are getting much more comfortable. So just know that you will have to break them in real good.




G.H Bass Loafers
My love of loafers is no secret and G.H. Bass make the most classic penny loafers with just enough support. These are by no means an orthotic shoe but they are much better that a completely flat shoe with absolutely zero support. And I can always add in an insert when the support in these shoes wears down a bit. The leather these are made from is quite soft and is really easy to break in. And they are offered in wide and regular widths (so awesome!!!). Most certainly will be repurchasing these shoes for years to come.

Burkenstocks
I resisted getting a pair of these for so long because I wasn't a fan of the general look of them. And My parents have been wearing "burks" my whole life (it was their wedding present to themselves back in the day, how cute is that) so naturally I didn't want to wear what my parents have been wearing for years. But the support and comfort that comes with these shoes is unrivaled. Yes, the break in period is rough. I'm talking blisters from breaking in the shoes, but once they have really formed to your feet you will never want to take them off. I find myself wearing them around the house in the morning while I get ready for the day and there have been times its been too cold to wear sandals and I forget to take them off before leaving the house. Of course once I'm outside and my toes are cold I rush back inside for my loafers or boots. These are an investment that has absolutely paid off.



Vionic
I do not own a pair of these yet, but I will soon. These shoes make orthotic levels of support look freaking adorable. I've got my eye on their ankle booties and their slip on shoes. even though I don't own a pair of these yet the reviews I've read have nothing but good things to say. They offer sizing in regular and wide widths (thank the heavens). And I have gone into a shop to try them on and I was so bummed that they didn't have my size for me to buy right then and there. So I'll be ordering online in the next couple of months. My current ankle boots are working out just fine for now but they will need replacing before next fall/winter season.

My Current ankle booties are from the brand Teva and they have been fantastic but they don't have as much arch and heel support that I need moving forward with my health and wellness.

Lately I've been talking about ethical fashion and slow fashion. I will be doing my best to only support brands that are taking steps to be more responsible companies. That being said, most ethical/sustainable shoe brands I've found just do not have the kind of support I need. Seeing as standing directly affects my health I will still be purchasing from these brands even though they might not be the most sustainable. Thanks for reading and simply stay pretty.

Comments

Popular Posts