Managing Stress During The Holidays

Happy Christmas everyone! We are in the thick of the holiday season. I couldn't be more excited about holiday cheer, revisiting old traditions and spending time with those I love. But the holidays are also extremely stressful and can be a really tough time of year for many people. Whether you've lost someone close to you and this is a sad time of remembrance. Or you struggle with social anxiety and this whole month is just overload. or like me you struggle with and Eating Disorder and just general anxiety. I hate to say "general anxiety" but it is so common that it feels appropriate, However just because a mental illness is common does not mean that it is easier. So lets talk about the way's I'm managing my anxiety and mental health in this lovely month of Christmas Time.



Self care comes first. I'm not saying be selfish, but you cannot help others or be there for others if you are not being taken care of. In my life I could definitely practice this more than I currently am. But even a simple thing like washing my face with some music on first thing when I get home can really help me re-center. And of course doing a face mask is a big one. Putting a mask on and knowing that your skin, your largest Organ is being cleansed or nourished or hydrated is such a wonderful concept. For me it's skincare but whatever your self care routine is make to to take care of yourself this holiday season.



Boundaries are a big freaking deal during the holidays. There are friends in town, holiday parties, traditions to uphold and memories to be made darn it. But learning to say no to things has been the hardest and best things I have ever done. I am only human, and humans only have so many hours in the day. So if I simply don't have time then that's the situation. The argument can be made that you ca n always "find time" and while yes, you probably could you would also be putting something else off to "find" that time. And typically the things I put off are sleeping, eating, self care, quality time with my boyfriend and family. You know the important things. Unfortunately it is a matter off priorities and you might have be be brutally honest with yourself to find your top priorities. But once you get there you find some peace and balance.



Lists help me keep my own brain organized when my schedule is jam packed with fun activities. So every single day I make a list for myself. I don't always get to everything on the list. And other times the items on my list are things like "eating, brush your teeth, get dressed" it is not that I will forget to do this things but more that if they are written down it makes everything else seem a bit more achievable.

Water, you know the life force. Remembering to drink water makes such a huge difference during a time of year when we are so busy. So here is a gentle reminder pick out a fun water bottle and drink some damn water. you'll thank me later.



I hope theses little reminder help you during a most wonderful and stressful time of year. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Comments

Popular Posts